12.05.2015 | World Vitiligo Day 2015: a quick update.
You are one of nearly half a million people to have signed our petition to the UN Secretary General, asking for June 25th to be officially designated World Vitiligo Day (WVD). The more names we have, the stronger we are – so thank you for your support.
Many of you ask questions about WVD, so here is a rundown of the most common queries:
- Where are the World Vitiligo Day 2015 headquarters?
This year, the headquarters will be in Shenyang, China, under the presidency of Prof. Xing-Hua Gao, MD, Chairman and Professor of Department of Dermatology, No.1 Hospital of China Medical University (see photo here below).
- Which country do the most petition signatures come from?
That distinction currently belongs to India, followed by the US, Indonesia and then China. You can see a full, up to date breakdown here.
- Is there an official color, image or logo for WVD?
In a word, no! We encourage individual organizations to use whatever works best for them. VITSAF in Nigeria, for example, uses purple, whereas others are using a black and white combination.
- Is there a WVD T-shirt?
Yes, thanks to Olumide Omololu who won a competition in 2014 to design an ‘unofficial’ WVD T-shirt. This proved so popular that we distributed 1500 of the shirts to support groups across the world, but we have now run out of stock. So, if you want to wear WVD T-Shirt, try doing it yourself - just download the design file you like from here and then send or take it to a print on demand T-shirt shop.
- Do you have anything I can use to help promote WVD?
Yes, we have put together a media toolkit to help you launch local awareness campaigns. Go here and scroll down to the ‘Media’ section to find the relevant downloads.
- What can I do to help?
Signing our petition and telling people about WVD is a great start. More specifically, we are currently asking dermatologists and beauty clinics to offer free skin check-ups for vitiligo and other pigmentation disorders on or around June 25th. Last year, 50+ participating doctors and clinics in 17 countries provided free consultations to well over three thousand patients. So, if you’re a dermatologist or beautician, or you know somebody who is and can help us, we would love to hear from you. Please drop us a line.
If you already have something planned for World Vitiligo Day then please do let us know by emailing info@25June.org. We’ll add your activity to our WVD calendar of events.
March 2017 (1):
January 2017 (1):
December 2016 (1):
July 2016 (2):
April 2016 (1):
March 2016 (1):
January 2016 (2):
- Theme for 2016: "How I Feel"
- World Vitiligo Day 2016 rally at the Capitol in Washington, DC on June 25th.
July 2015 (5):
- Sydney Vitiligo Support Meeting
- World Vitiligo Day 2015: over 500,000 petitions!
- John Harris's latest blog from the UMASS School of Medicine
- The power of millions united in celebration.
- World Vitiligo Day 2016 headquarters will move to Prague.
June 2015 (8):
- World Vitiligo Day 2015: beyond expectations!
- World Vitiligo Day youtube channel
- World Vitiligo Day 2015 in Canada
- World Vitiligo Day Petition update
- Winnie Harlow on dealing with vitiligo discrimination
- World Vitiligo Day fast approaching.
- Vitiligo Mission: An Appeal from IADVL
- Vitiligo group leaders meet in Vancouver, Canada
May 2015 (4):
- Vitiligo Advanced Technology Summit
- Marathon for World Vitiligo Day
- World Vitiligo Day calender
- World Vitiligo Day 2015: a quick update.
October 2014 (1):
September 2014 (1):
August 2014 (4):
- Chantelle: America's Next Top Model, cycle 21, premiers on Aug 18
- Taking flight with Michaela DePrince
- More photos from World Vitiligo Day 2014
- World Vitiligo Day 2014 in Croatia
July 2014 (3):
- World Vitiligo Day recognized by the Governor of Massachusetts
- World Vitiligo Day 2014 video of events in Chandigarh
- World Vitiligo Day exceeds all expectations
June 2014 (6):
- World Vitiligo Day 2014 kicks off in Chandigarh
- First Annual Vitiligo Aweareness walk in New Jersey
- Picture Your Vitiligo
- World vitiligo day you tube channel now running
- The World vitiligo Day video - Black or White
- Youtube world vitiligo day tubes
May 2014 (3):
- Vitiglio prevalence discussed on BBC
- World Vitiligo Day T-shirts update
- World Vitiligo Day 2014 in India
April 2014 (5):
- In memory of Prof. Antonio Salafia
- New Support groups
- Awareness growing in the WWW vitiligo community
March 2014 (2):
February 2014 (1):
December 2013 (2):
September 2013 (3):
June 2013 (11):
- Offical Mayoral proclamation for World Vitiligo Day in Detroit
- World Vitiligo Day goes live on Fox TV 27.06.2013
- World Vitiligo Day in Kenya with VISOKE
- Happy world vitiligo day
- World Vitiligo Day in Puerto Rico
- World Vitiligo Day 2013 events in Kazakhstan
- June is officially a Vitiligo Awareness month in Georgia
- Vitiligo Walk-a-Thon in Texas
- T-Shirt Challenge
- World Vitiligo Day Facemotions
- Vitiligo walk-a-thon in Nigeria launched campaign in West Africa
May 2013 (2):
February 2013 (2):
November 2012 (1):
October 2012 (2):
Why Is It Important
There are a lot of people who don't want you to stand up for your rights and demand a cure. They say vitiligo is not life threatening and not contagious, and you must embrace a life of a pariah, hiding yourself from sunlight and from the society.
Vitiligo is an under-researched disease resulting in milky white skin patches on the skin. The breadth and complexity of the disease require international collaboration in therapy development. The severity of the disease calls for national healthcare support.
So, speak up for your condition and your rights. Sign the letter to tell the UN Secretary-General that you want recognition and support. It would be appreciated if you could give every member of your family or group an opportunity for signing.
We have collected 502180 signatures of the target 500000 (100.44%). Now let’s get 1 million signatures!